sunnuntai 21. lokakuuta 2012

Why OS X?


This blog was created after asking these questions:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/68848/switching-from-ubuntu-to-os-x-and-im-lost

I have Thinkpad X220 with Xubuntu installed in it. I've been using Ubuntu for about 5 years now. I have tried different desktop environments like Gnome, KDE and Xfce. I tested Debian and Linux Mint in laptop use, but they had their problems.
Ubuntu is great but I've faced countless problems with external monitors etc.
For example, I needed a feature rich window manager so I installed Compiz to Xubuntu. After a few days I found bugs that were distracting my work flow pretty bad (e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/933776). 
(I wanted to try Xfce and thought that Xfce+Compiz is still lighter than Gnome+Compiz.)
I have encountered these bugs quite frequently. I code a lot and solving bugs in my own programs is enough. I want my environment to just work.
Something new had to be tried and Windows wasn't an option. I just don't like .bat, cmd.exe, C:\, and those windowsy things.
Laptop is the best choice for me because I travel a lot. So I bought 13" Macbook Air with 128GB SSD. It's light, mobile and has a decent resolution. I had also planned to test how to code an app for my iPad, so being in Apple-camp helps.
Now I'm trying to use the Macbook as my main working/coding laptop. Currently I have OS X Lion 10.7.4 installed. I don't know why I even expected anything else, but OS X needs heavy configuring to make it usable.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti